Purpose and Goals of Ibadah – Part 1
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
There are several ‘purposes’ to 'ibādah (worship). Most of them can predominately be located in the personal 'ibādāt (pl. of 'ibādah). Those 'ibādāt are either foundational, obligatory or recommended.
I am using the word ‘purpose’ intending the ‘result or outcome’ of the quantity and quality of the 'reward(s).'
Listed below are over 50 purposes for 'ibādah:
1. You—a unique, individual entity within His innumerable and vast creation—bonding with Allāh 'Azza wa Jalla. He Jalla Jalāluhu mentioning You alone, whilst You bond, remember and mention Him alone.
2. You attaining eternal honour with Him Jalla Jalāluhu.
3. You attaining eternal closeness and nearness with Him Jalla Jalāluhu.
4. You attaining His Eternal Love Jalla Jalāluhu. The manifestation of that Love ONLY increasing upon You for eternity within Your vast and beautiful kingdom in Jannah.
5. You attaining a status with Him Jalla wa 'Alā, and an eternal rank in His Sight within all creation.
6. You attaining His Eternal Appreciation Jalla Thanā’uhu.
7. You attaining His Eternal Ridā (Satisfaction) at a personal level.
8. You attaining His Eternal Fadl (Grace, Favour) at a personal level.
9. You attaining His Eternal Mercy at a personal level.
10. He Jalla Thanā’uhu being Eternally Amazed with You: Your inner and outer pure deeds and lofty character.
11. You seeing Him Jalla Jalāluhu for eternity with Your own soul, heart and eyes.
12. He Jalla Thanā’uhu Laughing with You alone while you are in His presence.
13. He Jalla Thanā’uhu Smiling with You and at You while you are in front of Him in His company.
14. You attaining the manifestations of all the Eternal, Merciful, Beautiful Attributes of Allāh Jalla Jalāluhu at a personal level.
15. You attaining the status of Ahl-Allāh (The Family of Allāh) Jalla wa 'Alā. This is especially for those who have a consistent bond with the Qur'ān.
16. You attaining the status and rank of the Angels who write Al-Wahye (Revelations). This is especially for those who achieve fluency in the Recitations, bonding with Allāh Jalla Jalāluhu, and find sweetness in their long standings.
17. You attaining the Rafīq (close companionship) to Prophet Muhammad sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam for eternity.
18. You attaining close companionship to all the Prophets and Messengers ‘alayhimus-salām for eternity.
19. You attaining close companionship to the sahābah radiyallāhu ‘anhum of Prophet Muhammad sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam.
20. You attaining close companionship to the sahābah radiyallāhu ‘anhum of all the other Prophets and Messengers ‘alayhimus-salām.
21. You entering to Jannatul-Firdaws without any hisāb (accountability).
22. You entering through any one the Eight Gates of Jannah without accountability.
23. All the Gates of Jannah calling You, and Yearning to have to enter through them.
24. You entering through the special Gate of Rayyān, and being from its residents. (This is for those who fast regularly).
25. You entering through the special Gate of Jihād.
26. You entering through the special Gate of Sadaqah.
27. You entering through the special Gate of Salāh.
28. You attaining the Ihsān (perfect beauty) of Jannah in bliss and pleasures whether spiritual or physical due to You being amongst the Siddiqīn, Muhsinīn.
29. You attaining the eternal reward of a Shahīd within Paradise, and You reaching one of the highest ranks therein.
30. You attaining the eternal reward of the Muttaqīn within Jannah, and You being amongst the highest in status amongst them.
31. You being chosen to enter Jannah due to Your pure heart.
32. You being chosen to enter Jannah due to Your lofty character.
33. You passing over the Sirāt (bridge over Jahannam) at a speed faster than light due to Your Tawhīd and 'Ibādah Noor (light).
34. You attaining a seat on the right side of the 'Arsh of Ar-Rahmān (The Great Throne of Allāh) Jalla fee 'Ulā on the Day of the Gathering.
35. You attaining a place beneath the Throne of Allāh 'Azza wa Jalla on the Day of Resurrection.
36. You attaining Your book of deeds on Your right hand.
37. You only have good, pious deeds that are weighed for both quantity and quality because the impious deeds have been Eternally Forgiven by Allāh 'Azza wa Jalla.
38. Your good, pious deeds outweigh Your impious deeds in the Great Scale.
39. Allāh Jalla fee 'Ulā Speaking to You privately with Mercy and Ridā (Pleasure, Satisfaction).
40. You coming as a leader of the Muttaqīn on the Day of Return, whereby You and those whom are obeyed and followed are within the hierarchy of the entire Ummah. Muhammad sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam being The Leader.
41. The Angels including Jibrīl, Mikā’īl, and Isrāfīl are proud and happy for You.
42. You drinking from the Ḥawḍ of the Messenger sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam on that Day.
43. You meeting and hugging the Messenger of Allāh sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam on that Day, and he is proud of You, delighted to see and meet You.
44. You attaining the intercession of the Messenger of Allāh sallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam.
45. You attaining the intercession of the Angels and the Mu'minīn.
46. You attaining the intercession and protection of Al-Qur’ān, Fasting, Zakāt, Sadaqāt, Qiyāmul-Layl... and all the other great, consistent, honest deeds.
47. You are saved from Jahannam’s wrath on that Day, and for eternity.
48. You have a sweet, pleasurable sleep in Your grave until You are resurrected.
49. Your grave becomes a garden from the gardens of Paradise. Your grave becomes as wide as Your eyes can see, and a window opens to Your eternal place in Paradise from which a cool, sweet smelling breeze enters and comforts You to sleep.
50. You have with you companions in the grave: Your Recitation(s), and Your Lofty Deeds.
51. You answer the three main questions of the grave with confidence and elation.
52. You see Your place in paradise while You are dying.
53. You (soul) leave Your body with ease like water leaving its vessel when poured.
54. You die whilst performing a grand deed.
55. You utter the Shahādah whilst You (soul) are departing to Your Beloved.
56. The Angels of death are gentle with You.
والحمد لله رب العالمين
وصلى الله وسلم على نبينا محمد