Purpose and Goals of Ibadah – Part 2
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Goals of 'ibādah in the dunyā (Earthly) life
We mentioned in a previous post that 'purpose' was coined for the 'result or outcome' of the quantity and quality of the 'reward(s).' Purpose is associated with the ākhirah (Hereafter), beginning from the moment of death.
Goals, on the other hand, are for this life. Subsequently, any khayr (good) intention for this life is labelled a 'goal.' Ultimately, for the true mu'min, there is another objective—the Ākhirah Intention. Thus, the 'goal' serves as means to actualize the 'purpose.'
Even if the 'goals' of the dunyā are correct, it must not be given precedence in the heart and within the intentions over the 'purposes' of the ākhirah. The 'goals' of the dunyā must fall within the 'purposes' of the ākhirah.
For example, a Muslim Judge has the goal of establishing justice between two people in this life, however, he seeks through 'establishing justice' Khullah (close friendship) with Allāh Jalla fee 'Ulā. Khullah is the purpose.
One can intend any or ALL of these purposes and goals for the inner and outer 'ibādāt because they are all legislated [purposes and goals]. Usually, 'for the Face of Allāh' refers to 'Purposes' of the Ākhirah, and 'fee Sabīl Lillāh' refers to the 'Goals' of the dunyā.
Some people excel others simply by having several lofty intentions. If you are unable to perform lofty deeds [now], begin by forming lofty intentions.
Goals of the dunyā are predominately located in the communal aspects of 'ibādāt. They include:
1. You are the means to the establishment of the entire Wahye (alongside the Siddiqīn, Sādiqīn and Mu'minīn).
2. You are a means to the establishment of some aspects of al-Waḥye.
3. You are a means to the preservation of the entire Waḥye (alongside the Siddiqīn, Sādiqīn and Mu'minīn). Memorising the Qira'āt and the Ahādīth with their chains, for example.
4. You are a means to preservation of some aspects of al-Wahye.
5. You [and others] actualize the (structured, practical) hierarchy and authority of this Ummah, thus achieving unity of the Ummah, based on Wahye-led characteristics and the respective skills needed for the position(s).
6. You reach your greatest potential in this life as a person [of this Ummah] by being given a responsibility from the responsibilities of the Ummah from the Siddiqīn, Sādiqīn and Mu'minīn, and fulfilling it.
7. You acquire the inner and outer characteristics of the Siddiqīn, Sādiqīn and Mu'minīn, and being with them.
8. You attain 'Izzah for the Ummah, and thereby attain 'Izzah for Yourself.
9. You attain independence and self-sufficiency for the Ummah.
10. You win the blessing of lands their treasures for the Ummah.
11. You form a personal bond and closeness with Allāh Jalla Jalāluhu, so much so that if You were to make a determined Du'ā, it would surely be
12. You attain the Eternal Love and the Eternal Gratitude of Allāh Jalla Thanā'uhu whilst You worship Him.
13. You attain the Eternal Forgiveness and Mercy of Allāh Jalla Thanā'uhu whilst You are perform deeds.
14. You specifically are mentioned in the gathering of the highest Angels, in the company of Allāh Jalla fee 'Ulā.
15. You worship Him Jalla wa 'Alā as if You can see Him; if not, then You are conscious and aware that He Jalla fee 'Ulā is fully Seeing You.
16. You attain Taqwā of Allāh 'Azza wa Jalla, and are amongst the Muttaqīn.
17. You attain the sweetness of 'Ibādah, and thus experience a settled tranquillity, harmony and peace within You, your family and the society.
18. You attain Your blessed Rizq from Allāh 'Azza wa Jalla.
19. Piety remains within You and Your family, so much so that it continues to within your offspring until the last Muslim.
20. Your life is prolonged with honour, health and prosperity.
May Allāh Jalla Thanā'uhu accept our inner and outer khayr deeds, and grant us tawfīq to attain their Purposes and Goals; and accept our Fasting, Qiyām and Sadaqāt. Āmeen!
والحمد لله رب العالمين
وصلى الله وسلم على نبينا محمد